If you’re anything like me, you’ve been wondering whether boyfriend jeans are still in style. I mean, if they were, wouldn’t we all be wearing them by now?
Well, here’s the thing: boyfriend jeans aren’t just a trend. They’re a way of life. And while the name may be new, their presence in our closets has been around for decades.
So what is it about these pants that makes them so popular? And why do we keep on coming back to them time and time again?
In this article, we’re going to explore some of the most common reasons why boyfriend jeans are so beloved by so many people—and why they’re likely to stay around for years to come.
What do boyfriend jeans look like?
Boyfriend jeans are a staple of the American wardrobe. They’re comfortable and they look good on everyone—so what do they actually look like?
Well, they’re not as baggy as you might think. The term “boyfriend” refers to the fact that these jeans are supposed to be worn low on the waist, like your boyfriend’s jeans would be. They should also fit loosely around your hips and thighs, but not so loose that they’re falling off.
The best thing about boyfriend jeans is how adaptable they are! You can wear them with heels for a night out on the town or with sneakers for running errands around town.
Are boyfriend jeans still in style in 2023?
Well, it depends on who you ask.
Some people are going to tell you that boyfriend jeans are out and have been for years. They’ll say that they’re a relic of the past, and no one should be wearing them.
But then there are others who will say that boyfriend jeans are here to stay—and they’ll point to the fact that they’ve been around since the 1960s as proof. They’ll say that boyfriend jeans are classic pieces of clothing and that they’ll never go out of style.
And then there’s another group who will tell you that it depends on how you wear them. If you wear them with sneakers, they’re more likely to be considered cool or trendy than if you wear them with heels or boots.
So which side is right? Who knows! But what we do know is that no matter what happens in fashion—even if everything changes overnight—there will always be some people out there who still love their boyfriend jeans.
But, let’s see the data from google trends
Boyfriend jeans are a style phenomenon that’s been around for years.
They’re especially popular in countries like Zimbabwe, Nepal, South Africa, Lebanon and Australia. But if you live in the USA or Canada, chances are you haven’t been wearing them much.
On Google Trends, there was a peak in searches for “boyfriend jeans” in 2015—and they’ve been steadily decreasing since then.
This makes sense: denim brands have been making more of an effort to cater to women who want to wear their boyfriend jeans as actual boyfriends do—that is to say, with holes and rips in them.
Here’s what I think
I think that boyfriend jeans are going to be around for a while longer—they’re just too comfortable to go away! We love the way they give us an easy way to be casual without sacrificing style.
Why do boyfriend jeans still popular in some countries?
You’ve probably noticed that boyfriend jeans are still a thing, even though many of the high-fashion brands that popularized them in the early 2000s have moved on. But why do boyfriend jeans still exist, even when they’re not the height of fashion?
Part of it is practicality.
Boyfriend jeans are roomy and comfortable, which makes them ideal for everyday wear.
They’re also great for layering under long sweaters or jackets, which is why they’re especially popular in colder climates where you might want to add layers as the temperature changes throughout the day.
But there’s another factor at play: comfort.
One of the reasons boyfriend jeans became so popular was because they were seen as an alternative to stifling skinny jeans—a way for women to express their individuality while still looking stylish and put together.
And while skinny jeans can definitely be uncomfortable, boyfriend jeans aren’t always a perfect fit either—they can feel bulky if you don’t have a lot of space between your thighs (which is why we recommend sizing up one size from your usual size).
So why do boyfriend jeans still exist? Because sometimes it’s nice to wear something that feels like it fits just right…
Why do boyfriend jeans not so popular in the USA?
Boyfriend jeans have been popular for years in Europe and Asia, but they haven’t taken off in the United States as much. The reason for this has to do with culture.
In the United States, we have a very specific idea of what “sexy” looks like.
We’re taught that thin women are attractive, and we’re told that skinny jeans are the only kind of jean that’s appropriate for a woman to wear.
We’ve seen enough celebrities flaunt their tiny frames in skintight pants on red carpets to know that this is what beauty looks like here.
In other parts of the world, however, it’s a different story. In many places where boyfriend jeans are popular—especially countries in Eastern Europe—women aren’t expected to be as thin or toned as American women are expected to be.
They often don’t feel pressure from society or peers to look a certain way just because they want to fit into some arbitrary ideal of beauty.
This means that they don’t feel restricted by what they can wear or how they dress themselves based on society’s expectations; they can just wear whatever makes them feel good!
Different types of boyfriend jeans
There are so many different types of boyfriend jeans that it can be hard to keep track of them all!
The most basic kind of boyfriend jeans are those that are loose-fitting and have a straight-leg fit. These jeans usually have a bit of stretch, but they’re not as much as skinny jeans. They’re considered to be a classic style and are great for casual wear.
The next type of boyfriend jean is the flare jean. These jeans have more volume at the hemline than in the leg opening. This creates a wide leg opening that can be very flattering on some body types (like mine!). You can also choose between cropped flare or full-length flares, depending on your personal style preferences.
Finally, there’s another type of boyfriend jean that’s similar to the flare jean but has more room in the thigh area—it’s called a bootcut jean (or “bootcut”). These are great if you want something that isn’t tight around your legs but still gives you shapely curves!
How to choose boyfriend jeans for yourself
Choosing the right boyfriend jeans can be a challenge, but we’ve got a few tips to help you find the best fit.
1. Try them on. If you’re shopping in person, take a look at the salesperson who will help you. Are they friendly and helpful? Do they seem like they know what they’re talking about? Or are they just trying to sell whatever’s on the rack?
2. Check out reviews online. Are other people happy with their purchases?
3. Pay attention to the details: Does the label say “made in China” or “handcrafted in Italy”? Is there any stitching detail that really catches your eye? What color of denim do you like best?
4. Think about how you’ll wear them—are they going to be perfect for running errands or are you going to want to dress up with them?
5 Quick tips for wearing boyfriend jeans
If you’re looking for some tips on how to wear boyfriend jeans, we’ve got you covered!
1. Wear them with a blazer: Boyfriend jeans have a casual vibe and can look like they need something more polished when they’re worn on their own. To balance out the casualness of your jeans, try a blazer over top. The blazer will give off an edgy vibe and make your look more high-fashion than anything else!
2. Try them in a different color: The great thing about boyfriend jeans is that they come in so many colors and styles that it’s easy to find a pair that fits your personal style! Try wearing them in black or navy instead of traditional blue denim, or opt for an embroidered pair if you want something extra special.
3. Wear them with heels: Heels are perfect for balancing out boyfriends’ casual vibe because they give them a sleek look that makes them feel more refined than usual! Wear heels with your boyfriends’ for an evening out on the town or dress down them with sneakers for a more casual look.
4. Try a high-rise cut: A high-rise cut is the perfect way to make boyfriend jeans feel like regular jeans, which means you can wear them just about anywhere! The higher waistline creates an hourglass figure by accentuating your curves in all the right places.
5. Pair them with a crop top: Cropped tops are a great way to show off your assets without showing too much skin! Try pairing your boyfriend’s jeans with a crop top in a contrasting color for an edgy look that’s perfect for casual Fridays at work.
Related reading: How To Wear Boyfriend Jeans Over 50
Boyfriend jeans are still in style, and will be for years to come. Even though there are plenty of other trends that can be fun to try out, there’s always room for the classics.
Hey there! I’m Sophia, and I’m the co-founder of this website. I’ve been a lifelong fashion enthusiast and have spent most of my time working in the industry as a fashion stylist. My goal is to create a space where we can all come together and celebrate everything that makes us who we are: our individual styles. I’m excited to bring you this digital community, where we can share our stories, insights, and experiences with each other—and learn new things along the way!