Are empire waist dresses in or out of style in 2023?
I know what you’re thinking: “Who cares?”
Well, we do! And that’s why we put together this post. We want to share with you all the reasons why empire waist dresses are still in style and some tips on how you can buy and style them for your next event.
Are Empire Waist Dresses In Style In 2023?
If you’re asking yourself this question, you might be thinking about how much you love the empire waist dresses that are all over social media—but don’t want to wear one of those dresses that has been in style since the early 2000s. We’ve got good news for you:
Empire waist dresses have been out of fashion since 2005. They peaked in 2004 and 2005, with a brief resurgence in 2010. But even though they aren’t as popular as they once were, they are still very popular in the United States and Canada.
To see just how popular empire waist dresses are, take a look at Google Trends from the past few years. It’s clear that these long-sleeved dresses were at their height between 2004 and 2005 when people were searching for them by the millions! But if you’re looking for more recent data on how society feels about this style of dress today (and not just what people search for), Instagram is probably your best bet. Just type in “empire waist dress” into the platform’s search bar and see what pops up!
Why Are Empire Waist Dresses in style in 2023?
Let’s look at the top 5 reasons why empire waist dresses are in style in 2023.
1. Comfort: Empire waist dresses provide a great fit and are very comfortable to wear. They can be worn with or without a belt, depending on your personal preference.
2. Versatility: Empire waist dresses can be worn in many different ways, depending on your personal style and the occasion you’re dressing for.
3. Elegance: Empire waist dresses give off an elegant vibe while still being comfortable and easy to wear. This makes them perfect for any occasion where you need to look your best!
4. Fashionable: Empire waist dresses are very fashionable right now as they are becoming more popular with young women who want to look their best in order to attract men (or whatever their goals may be).
5. Trendy: Empire waist dresses have become trendy due to their comfort, versatility and elegance (which means that if you wear one then you’ll look good while wearing it).
More about empire waist dress
An empire waist dress is a style of dress where the waistline is raised to just below the bust, creating a flowing, loose silhouette that falls to the floor or ankle. This style has been around for a long time and was particularly popular during the Regency period in the early 19th century.
Empire waist dresses can be made from a variety of materials and come in different styles, from casual to formal. They can be sleeveless, have short or long sleeves, and come in a variety of necklines, such as v-neck, scoop-neck, or boat-neck.
Empire waist dress history
- 1795-1820: The Regency era saw the rise of the empire waist dress as a popular style. Women’s clothing became more comfortable and less restrictive, with high waistlines and flowing skirts. The empire waist dress became a popular choice for both daywear and eveningwear during this period.
- 1850s-1860s: The empire waist dress fell out of fashion in the mid-19th century as the crinoline became popular. The crinoline was a structured undergarment that created a bell-shaped silhouette and emphasized the fullness of the skirt.
- Late 19th century: The empire waist dress saw a resurgence in popularity during the late 19th century, particularly in the form of tea gowns and other loose-fitting styles.
- Early 20th century: The empire waist dress continued to be popular in the early 20th century, particularly as a style for eveningwear. The loose, flowing silhouette was seen as more modern and less restrictive than the corseted styles of previous eras.
- 1960s: The empire waist dress saw a resurgence in popularity during the 1960s, thanks in part to the influence of the “baby doll” style popularized by designers like Mary Quant. The high waistline and loose, flowing skirt were seen as youthful and playful.
- Present day: The empire waist dress remains a popular style today, with designers incorporating it into a variety of collections. The style has evolved over time, but its classic silhouette and flattering fit have remained a constant throughout its history.
Cons of wearing Empire Waist Dresses
Empire waist dresses are gorgeous, but they aren’t for everyone. Here are three downsides to wearing them.
1. You’ll feel like you’re wearing a corset
If you’ve ever worn an empire waist dress, you know that feeling: like your ribcage is being squeezed in by a giant boa constrictor and your lungs are trying desperately to fill themselves with oxygen. It’s not comfortable, but it’s also not a reason to avoid empire waist dresses for good. We recommend taking breaks from time to time and allowing your body to breathe when you can.
2. You’ll have trouble finding the right bra for it
Empire waist dresses tend to be low-cut, so if you want to wear one, you’ll need to invest in some new bras—or maybe even get measured for one from scratch! Don’t worry; we’ve got a whole section of our website dedicated to helping women find the right bra for their body type—and whether they want great support or just something comfy enough for lounging around the house, we’ve got something for everyone!
3. There’s no place for your hands!
If there’s one thing that makes an empire waist dress even more uncomfortable than it already is, it’s the fact that there’s nowhere for your hands to go. You’ll either have to hold them awkwardly at your sides or stuff them into your pockets—and neither option is very comfortable!
Tips for buying Empire Waist Dresses for yourself
Empire waist dresses are a great way to add some flair to your wardrobe. They’re also perfect for those who want to wear something that’s both comfortable and flattering.
Here are 5 tips for buying Empire Waist Dresses for yourself:
1. Make sure you’re comfortable with the neckline. Some people prefer scoop necks, while others like V-necks or square necks. If you don’t know what kind of neckline you like best, ask a salesperson which one they would suggest based on your body type and skin tone.
2. Consider how many colors you’d like in the dress. You can get empire waist dresses in a variety of colors these days—including bright reds, blues and greens—so it’s easy to find one that suits your tastes!
3. Think about whether you want a maxi dress or not; this is important because most maxi empire waist dresses have sleeves, while shorter ones do not (unless they’re made out of sheer material).
4. Consider what kind of fabric will work best for your lifestyle; some fabrics are lighter than others so they might be better suited for warmer weather but others could be good choices if they’re made from wool or cotton that feels soft against your skin
5. Consider the length of your dress; some empire waist dresses are knee-length while others go all the way down to your ankles.
6. Think about what kind of accessories you want to wear with your dress; maybe you’ll want to add a belt or scarf for more style options!
6 popular brands that offer empire waist dresses
- Anthropologie: Anthropologie is known for its bohemian, vintage-inspired clothing, and their selection of empire waist dresses is no exception. They offer a variety of styles, from casual to dressy, with unique prints and details. Here’s a link to their collection
- Free People: Free People is another brand with a bohemian aesthetic that offers a selection of empire waist dresses. Their styles are often flowy and romantic, with a vintage-inspired feel.
- ModCloth: ModCloth is a brand known for its retro-inspired clothing, and they offer a variety of empire waist dresses that nod to past eras. Their styles range from casual to formal, with playful prints and unique details.
- Eloquii: Eloquii is a brand that offers plus-size clothing, including a selection of empire waist dresses. Their styles are fashion-forward and on-trend, with bold prints and flattering silhouettes.
- Lulus: Lulus is a brand that offers a wide variety of dresses, including empire waist styles. Their dresses are often more formal and dressy, with a focus on elegant details and flattering fits.
- Nordstrom: Nordstrom is a department store that offers a variety of brands, including a selection of empire waist dresses. Their styles range from casual to formal, with a variety of prints and fabrics to choose from.
5 quick tips for styling Empire Waist Dresses in 2023
1. Wear a belt! Empire waist dresses are very feminine and flowy, so adding a belt can help give it some shape and a waistline that’s more flattering for your body—and it’ll also help balance out the dress’s voluminousness if you want to go for a more conservative look.
2. Get creative with shoes! If you’re worried about how high-waisted your dress is, consider pairing it with heels or flats (especially if they’re ankle-strap flats). A pair of wedges can also work—just make sure they have enough height and support to keep you comfortable all night long!
3. Keep your jewelry simple. You don’t want anything too heavy or distracting when wearing an empire waist dress because it already has so much going on! Keep it light and understated, like an elegant choker or bracelet set with jewels that complement your outfit color schemes.
4. Add some volume to your hair! A high ponytail with some voluminous waves can add height to the body without taking away from the flowiness of the dress itself—it’ll just give you more definition than usual when paired together in one look (which we think is always good for any woman who wants to look her best).
5. Wear your favorite heels! It’s a bit of a no-brainer, but this is one of the easiest ways to make sure you look tall and elegant in an empire waist dress. If it’s not your thing, try some pointed flats instead.
We hope you enjoyed our rundown of Empire Waist Dresses In Or Out of Style In 2023. We know it’s a topic that many people care about, and we’re happy to have provided some insight!
We’d love to hear from you in the comments below—what do you think? Are Empire Waist Dresses In Or Out of Style In 2023? Do you have any questions about them? If so, we’d love to answer them!
Hi, I’m Isabella! I’m a fashion-obsessed writer who loves everything about it: the clothes, the accessories, and especially the people. I’ve been writing about fashion for nearly 8 years now—and during that time, I’ve learned a few things. First of all, there’s no such thing as bad style. It’s just a matter of what works for you. Second of all, fashion is more than just clothes—it can be a way to express yourself or your personality. And finally: Fashion is fun!