It’s hard to believe that it’s been 20 years since the midi skirt first became a trend.
Since then, we’ve seen these skirts come and go in popularity, but they still remain a wardrobe staple. In fact, they’re more popular than ever!
If you’re wondering whether or not these skirts are still in style for 2023, you’ve come to the right place. We’ve put together some tips for buying and styling midi skirts so that you can learn how to wear them like a pro.
Are Midi Skirts Still in Style in 2023?
Well, the answer is… it depends.
First of all, let’s look at history. The midi skirt was first popularized in 2015, when Irish designer Orla Kiely introduced them to the market as part of her spring collection. But they didn’t really hit it big until 2017, when they were featured on everyone from street style bloggers to celebrities like Gigi Hadid and Kendall Jenner. They’ve remained popular ever since.
At one point, Google Trends reported that people were searching for midi skirts more than any other type of clothing—even leggings!—and that those searches peaked in 2021. This would seem to indicate that midi skirts are still popular now… but if you look at Instagram and Pinterest, you’ll see that there are still plenty of people wearing them in America today.
So what gives? Why do different sources give different answers? Well… it turns out that “midi” is a pretty broad term, so we need to break things down a bit further before we can get an accurate idea of what’s happening with this trend right now.
But, all in all, Midi Skirts are Still in Style in 2023.
How long will Midi Skirts be in Style?
Midi skirts are in style right now and they’ve been around for a while. We’re not sure how long they’ll stay trendy but we think they are here to stay for a while. They’re great for women who want to show off their legs and they look good on most body types.
Why Midi Skirts are getting more and more popular?
Midi skirts are a staple of every fashionable woman’s closet. The best part? They’re still in style in 2023! Here are five reasons why:
1. Midi skirts are feminine and flattering. They show off your legs and highlight your waist—which is why they’ve been around for so long.
2. Midi skirts are versatile. You can wear them with heels, sneakers, flats, or boots! It all depends on the occasion, but you’ll always be able to find an outfit that works for you in your midi skirt collection.
3. Midi skirts are easy to care for, which means you don’t have to worry about them getting dirty or damaged as easily as other types of clothing.
4. Midi skirts look good on everyone—and we mean everyone! Whether you’re tall or short, curvy or thin; midi skirts will accentuate your curves while flaunting your assets and camouflaging any areas of concern like those pesky love handles (we’ve all got them).
5. And finally…midi skirts come in all different colors so there’s literally something for everyone!
What is mini vs midi skirts?
So, if you’re wondering about mini and midi skirts, I’m happy to help! Mini skirts are basically any skirt that falls above the knee.
They’re a great choice if you want to show off those legs and create a fun, youthful vibe. On the other hand, midi skirts fall somewhere between the knee and ankle, and they’re a more modest option that’s still super stylish and versatile.
You can find midi skirts in all kinds of styles and shapes, so there’s definitely one out there that will work for your body type and personal taste. Whether you prefer a shorter or longer hemline, there’s a skirt that will look amazing on you!
What body type can wear midi skirts?
According to Fashion Times Global, when wearing a midi skirt, there are a few things to keep in mind.
First, the length of the skirt should fall somewhere between the knee and the ankle. Second, the silhouette should be flattering to your figure.
A-line skirts are a good choice for most body types, while pencil skirts can be more figure-hugging.
Can you wear a midi skirt if you’re short?
Absolutely! If you’re on the shorter side, don’t worry – you can still rock a midi skirt! You just need to make sure you find one that works for your body type. Look for a skirt that falls just below the knee – this will make your legs appear longer. An A-line silhouette can also help balance out your proportions.
Oh, and don’t forget about the shoes! Wearing heels or shoes with a pointed toe can further elongate your legs. But, the most important thing is to find a midi skirt that you feel confident and comfortable in. So, go ahead and try a few different styles until you find the perfect fit for you!
6 Tips for buying Midi Skirts for yourself
You’re not a teenager anymore, so you don’t really need to worry about dressing like one. But if you want to bring some of that youthful spirit into your wardrobe, midi skirts are the way to go. They make you look young without making you feel like a child.
But how do you find the perfect midi skirt? Here’s how:
1) Look for something that hits below the knee and shows off your legs (but not too much).
2) Make sure it has pockets! If there are no pockets, it’s not a real midi skirt.
3) Pick a color that will match most of the rest of your wardrobe—a dark shade of blue or black is always safe. Or go wild with bright colors and patterns! Be bold! You deserve it!
4) Feel free to experiment with different fabrics—silk works well because it feels nice against your skin while also being breathable in warmer weather. Wool is good if you’re going through a winter phase (and even then, only if it isn’t too heavy). And cotton is great if you want something more casual or comfy than silk or wool but still dressy enough for a night out.
5) Stick to the basics. While some might insist that “it’s all about the details,” when it comes to midi skirts, simple is better. Go for a clean silhouette and keep things classic by choosing a solid color or one with minimal patterning.
6) Know your length limits! A lot of people think that midi skirts are only appropriate for wear by tall gals, but that’s not true at all—anyone can rock a midi skirt if they know how long they can go before looking silly wearing it. If you’re on the shorter side (like me!), aim for no more than two inches above your knee cap or else it might look like you’re wearing some kind of crazy bell-bottom pants (which is never a good look).
7 quick tips for styling Midi Skirts in 2023
1. A midi skirt is a great way to show off your legs, but if you’re taller than 5’10”, it can be tricky to make sure it doesn’t drag on the ground. If that happens, just turn up the hem! You’ll look like you were born to wear this style without having to worry about making sure it doesn’t get dirty.
2. As with any skirt, a midi skirt should be paired with flats or heels. But if you’re looking for an outfit that will make a statement and get you noticed, try wearing them with some chunky boots! It’s actually a trend right now—you’ll see lots of celebs doing it!
3. If you’re going out at night and want to show off your legs while still keeping warm, consider wearing a long sweater over your midi skirt (it’s called layering!). This look is perfect if you’re going out on a date or somewhere fancy like that—your date will think you’re really put together and stylish!
4. Sometimes when we’re trying new things with our outfits, we end up looking kind of weird because everything doesn’t match perfectly or something like that. If you’re going to go for a new look, try wearing one item that’s different from what you usually wear—like a pair of jeans with a t-shirt or something like that.
5. You might be wondering how to wear your midi skirt if it’s too cold outside—try layering it over another top! This way, you’ll stay warm and still be able to show off your fashion sense.
6. Pair with a blazer or denim jacket for a more professional look.
7. Wear your midi skirt with a fun tank top and sneakers for a casual day out on the town.
I think we’re all going to be seeing a lot more of the midi skirt for years to come. It’s comfortable and flattering, it goes with everything, and it’s just a fun way to express yourself.
So why not put one on today?
Hey there! I’m Sophia, and I’m the co-founder of this website. I’ve been a lifelong fashion enthusiast and have spent most of my time working in the industry as a fashion stylist. My goal is to create a space where we can all come together and celebrate everything that makes us who we are: our individual styles. I’m excited to bring you this digital community, where we can share our stories, insights, and experiences with each other—and learn new things along the way!