Are one-shoulder dresses still in style in 2023? or next Year?
If you’ve been wondering that, you’re in luck! We’ve got the answers for you.
In this post, we’ll look back at the history of one-shoulder dresses and see why they’re still popular today. Then, we’ll share some buying and styling tips so you can get the most out of your one-shoulder dress.
So let’s get started!
What do Off-the-Shoulder Dresses look like?
Off-the-shoulder dresses are a popular style of dress that has been around for decades. As the name suggests, these dresses feature a neckline that sits below the shoulders, leaving them exposed. The rest of the dress can vary in style, but the off-the-shoulder neckline is the defining feature.
When you picture an off-the-shoulder dress, think of a dress that is elegant and romantic. The neckline often creates a soft and feminine look, and the dress can be long or short, fitted or flowy. Some off-the-shoulder dresses have straps to hold the dress in place, while others rely on the elastic or boning in the bodice to keep the dress up.
Off-the-shoulder dresses are a versatile option that can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. They’re a great choice for a summer wedding or a night out on the town, and they can be paired with strappy heels or sandals for a casual look. Some off-the-shoulder dresses also feature ruffles or other embellishments for added flair.
When did Off-the-Shoulder Dresses become a thing?
Off-the-shoulder dresses have been around for a long time and have gone in and out of fashion throughout the years. However, the trend really took off in the 1950s and 1960s when off-the-shoulder dresses were worn by movie stars like Audrey Hepburn and Elizabeth Taylor. These dresses were often made of luxurious fabrics like silk and satin and were typically worn for formal occasions.
In the 1970s, off-the-shoulder dresses became more casual and bohemian-inspired, often featuring loose, flowing silhouettes and bright colors or patterns. The trend continued into the 1980s and 1990s, with off-the-shoulder dresses being a popular choice for proms and other formal events.
In recent years, off-the-shoulder dresses have made a comeback, with designers incorporating the style into their collections in a range of fabrics and styles. Today, off-the-shoulder dresses are a stylish and versatile option for women of all ages and can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion.
Are one-shoulder dresses in style in 2023?
One-shoulder dresses are still in style!
We love a good one-shoulder dress, and we’re not the only ones.
The look has been popping up on the red carpet since at least 2017, and it shows no signs of slowing down.
But are one-shoulder dresses really still in style? It’s a question we often get asked—and now you can find out for yourself.
Here’s how we did our research: We took a look at the most recent designer collections from Fall/Winter 2023 and Spring/Summer 2024, as well as some of our favorite celebrity looks from those seasons. Then we searched for all the one-shoulder dresses we could find.
The results? One-shoulder dresses have been trending for years now—and they don’t seem to be going anywhere soon!
You can expect to see more of them on runways and red carpets over the next few seasons. In fact, if you’re looking for a great way to update your wardrobe, there’s no better time than now to snag yourself one of these gorgeous gowns!
5 Famous people who wear off-the-shoulder
- Princess Diana – Princess Diana famously wore an off-the-shoulder black velvet dress designed by Victor Edelstein to a state dinner at the White House in 1985.
- Jennifer Aniston – Jennifer Aniston wore an off-the-shoulder black dress to the 2017 Vanity Fair Oscars after-party.
- Meghan Markle – Meghan Markle wore an off-the-shoulder dress designed by Carolina Herrera to Trooping the Colour in 2018, a ceremony celebrating Queen Elizabeth II’s birthday.
- Rihanna – Rihanna wore an off-the-shoulder white dress to the 2014 CFDA Fashion Awards.
- Blake Lively – Blake Lively wore an off-the-shoulder red dress to the 2016 Cannes Film Festival premiere of The BFG.
How long will one-shoulder dresses stay in style?
The short answer is, who knows?
But the long answer is, probably forever.
One-shoulder dresses are a classic style that have been around for decades, and they’re not going anywhere anytime soon.
The key to making them look fresh and modern is to keep them simple and avoid over-accessorizing.
A simple one-shoulder dress is the perfect way to add some edge to your wardrobe without going overboard—and hey, even if you do go overboard, you can always just take off one shoulder!
Why are one-shoulder dresses in style in 2023?
5 Reasons Why One-Shoulder Dresses Are In Style In 2023
If you’re like us, you’ve probably been wondering why the one-shoulder dress is suddenly everywhere. We’re here to help you navigate this trend with 5 reasons why one-shoulder dresses are in style in 2023.
1. It’s a statement piece that can make any outfit look edgy and cool.
2. It’s flattering on almost any body type—so it’s perfect for all your friends!
3. The shoulder cutout gives the illusion of an hourglass figure, making your waist look smaller than it actually is (even if it isn’t).
4. It’s super comfortable and easy to wear—you can even sleep in it!
5. When paired with the right accessories and shoes, it makes an outfit look more elegant than casual.
5 Tips for buying one-shoulder dresses for yourself
If you’re looking to add a one-shoulder dress to your wardrobe, there are plenty of reasons to do so. One-shoulder dresses are elegant, chic, and can be worn for any occasion. They’re also a great way to show off your shoulders if you’re feeling shy about them—the curves of one shoulder can be very sexy!
Here are some tips for buying one-shoulder dresses for yourself:
1. Look for a dress that fits well in the shoulders—this is key. If the fabric is too loose, it won’t sit right on your body and will hang awkwardly. The fabric should fall straight down from the shoulders without pulling or bunching up at all. You should also try on different sizes to ensure that the dress fits in all areas where it should be fitted (like around your bust).
2. Find a dress with a good shape: It should have curves at the hips and waist, but not too much flare out at the bottom hemline; this gives a more natural look overall rather than being too boxy or bulky across the front (which could cause discomfort if you’re sitting down).
3. Pick out fabrics that don’t wrinkle easily: This includes chiffon and satin fabrics that are soft and lightweight. You can also look for dresses made from cotton or linen, which tend to be wrinkle-resistant but still durable enough to last through many wearings.
4. Choose a cut that flatters your body type: If you’re petite, find a dress with an empire waistline; this will help make your figure appear more proportional by accentuating the smallest part of your body (your bust). If you’re tall, look for dresses with a dropped waistline; this will help add visual length to your figure by drawing attention away from the top half of your body.
5. Consider color: If you’re going to wear a dress more than once, choose one that can be worn in multiple seasons. For example, white is universally flattering but may not be appropriate for fall or winter months when it’s cold outside (and everyone else is wearing darker colors).
5 quick tips for styling one-shoulder dresses in 2023
5 quick tips for styling one-shoulder dresses in 2023
1. Get a pop of color on the other side of your body: A bright lip, a statement necklace, or an eye-catching bag will help to balance out the one-shoulder look.
2. Go for bold accessories: earrings, bracelets, and rings can be just as interesting and eye-catching as the dress itself.
3. Find shoes that are equally unique: try shoes that are high-heeled but have a platform sole or boots with a platform heel!
4. Play with proportions: pair a short dress with heels or boots to balance out the length of your legs; pair a long dress with flats or sneakers to keep it casual; pair a mini dress with knee-high boots for an edgy look; pair a midi dress with ankle boots for something more sophisticated; etc.
5. Try different styles together: try pairing different styles together like an off-the-shoulder top paired with an open back bottom (think about how you would accessorize your outfit together).
So there you have it: the answer to the question “Are one-shoulder dresses in style?” is yes, and we think they’re here to stay.
To get the most out of your one-shoulder dress, we recommend pairing it with some bold accessories—a big necklace or earrings can work wonders. And don’t forget about the shoes! A pair of heels or wedges will really bring your look together and make you feel like a total boss lady.
Have fun with this trend, but don’t take it too far. It’s only worth trying if it makes you feel good—so if you’re not feeling comfortable in an outfit, then don’t wear it!
Hey there! I’m Sophia, and I’m the co-founder of this website. I’ve been a lifelong fashion enthusiast and have spent most of my time working in the industry as a fashion stylist. My goal is to create a space where we can all come together and celebrate everything that makes us who we are: our individual styles. I’m excited to bring you this digital community, where we can share our stories, insights, and experiences with each other—and learn new things along the way!