Are One Shoulder Dresses in Style in 2023? One-shoulder dresses have been around for a while. They have been popularized by celebrities and supermodels, making them a staple of the fashion industry.
However, are they still relevant today? We will answer that question below.
About One-Shoulder Dresses
As the name suggests, One Shoulder Dresses are dresses that feature only one shoulder strap instead of two. They’re designed to showcase one shoulder while leaving the other bare, and they come in a variety of different styles and lengths.
One Shoulder Dresses are like the rebellious teenager of the dress world – they only have one strap and they’re not afraid to show it off! They’re perfect for when you want to show a little skin but not too much, and they come in all sorts of styles, from simple and elegant to flouncy and flamboyant. Whether you’re going to a fancy event or just out on the town, One Shoulder Dresses are a great way to add some edge to your look and make a statement. So go ahead and give it a try – who knows, you might just start a new trend!
Are One-Shoulder Dresses Out of Style in 2023?
To answer this question with some data, we looked at Google Trends data on searches for “one-shoulder dresses” over time.
The trend graph is shown above. As you can see, there was a huge spike in interest around April 2012—no doubt due to the popularity of celebrities like Rihanna and Beyoncé wearing them during their tours that year.
Interest has since tapered off quite a bit, but there are still plenty of people who love these dresses!
Here are five famous women who have rocked One Shoulder Dresses:
- Michelle Obama – former First Lady of the United States, wore a stunning white One Shoulder Dress to the 2019 ESPY Awards in Los Angeles.
- Beyoncé – American singer and performer, wore a black One Shoulder Dress to the 2016 MTV Video Music Awards in New York City.
- Jennifer Lopez – American actress, singer, and dancer, wore a beautiful pink One Shoulder Dress to the 2019 Oscars in Los Angeles.
- Angelina Jolie – American actress, wore a striking red One Shoulder Dress to the 2011 Golden Globe Awards in Beverly Hills.
- Charlize Theron – South African-American actress and producer, wore a sleek silver One Shoulder Dress to the 2019 Critics’ Choice Awards in Santa Monica.
Why do some people still wear One-Shoulder Dresses in 2023? Especially the celebrities
It seems like every time you turn around, there’s another celebrity wearing one. And yet, as far as we can tell, none of them are actually trying to be sexy.
So what gives? We’ve got a few theories:
1. They’re good for showing off your arms and shoulders (and they make great holiday party outfits).
2. They’re easy to wear—and easy to put together with other pieces you already have in your closet.
3. When you wear a one-shoulder dress, you look like you’re wearing two different dresses at once! That’s because it’s asymmetrical—one side is longer than the other, so it creates an optical illusion that makes it seem like there are two different lengths on either side of your body (which is great if you’re looking to add some visual interest).
4. One-shoulder dresses make it easier for people to see your face! When someone looks at a picture of someone wearing a one-shoulder dress, their eyes are automatically drawn to their face first—which means that if they want to talk about how beautiful someone looks when they wear a one-shoulder dress, they can just say it!
5. It’s easier to get ready in the morning! When you’re wearing a one-shoulder dress, it’s much easier to put on makeup and choose accessories because there’s only half as much fabric to deal with.
But there are some cons, too:
1) You have to be careful about how much skin you show. If you’re not comfortable with your body or don’t feel like showing a lot of skin, this may not be the best look for you.
2) It can make you appear slimmer than you actually are. This can be good or bad, depending on what kind of body shape you have.
3) The style tends to be a little more formal than other styles, so if you’re going somewhere casual it might not be the best choice.
5 Tips for buying one Shoulder Dresses for yourself
1. Look at the shoulder seams. If you have broad shoulders, look for dresses that have a subtle shoulder seam that’s curved and not too wide. If you have narrow shoulders, look for dresses with wider seams so they will balance out your shape.
2. Check out how the sleeves fit. If you have broad shoulders and narrow wrists, look for dresses with fitted sleeves that are slightly poofy near the wrist but not too tight around the bicep or forearm. If you have narrow shoulders and broad wrists, look for dresses with loose-fitting sleeves that are tapered at the end to show off your shape.
3. Pay attention to necklines! If you have broad shoulders, avoid V-necks because they tend to accentuate broadness rather than slimming it down (and also because V-necks are trending right now). Instead, try a sweetheart or empire waistline instead—these can be great ways to balance out your shape without being too extreme about it!
4. Consider what types of fabrics work best on your body type: if you’re pear-shaped (bigger hips and thighs) but small-busted (smaller breasts), then look for dresses made from lightweight cotton fabrics like chiffon or georgette which will make you look more balanced. If you’re petite, avoid heavy fabrics like velvet or wool because they’ll make you look even smaller than you already are!
5. Fit is key: if a dress hangs off your shoulders and makes them look droopy, then it’s not going to do much good for your body type (or anyone else’s). Instead, try dresses with shoulder pads that will help to create the illusion of having broader shoulders. If you have a bigger bust, then try dresses with padding at the chest (but not too much!) so that they don’t look flat or saggy.
6. Avoid white: unless you’re planning on getting married in the next week, then stay away from anything too close to white because it can wash you out and make your skin look dull. Instead try pastels like light blue or pink which will flatter your complexion more than stark whites do!
6 quick tips for styling One Shoulder Dresses in 2023
1. Try a light color for day and dark for night.
2. Add some lace or ruffles for an extra touch of femininity.
3. Wear it with a belt or scarf to add a pop of color or pattern to your outfit!
4. Pair it with statement earrings or a bold necklace to really make the look stand out!
5. Don’t be afraid of heels—these dresses are made to be worn with heels! Heels will elongate your legs and give you great posture so you’ll look taller than ever before (even if you’re not!).
6. You can also try pairing one shoulder dresses with a neutral-colored jacket; it will give you an elegant look while keeping things cool enough so that you’re not sweating through your clothes all night long!
We’ve seen a lot of one shoulder dresses in the past few years, and they’re still being worn today. But they’re not as popular as they used to be—it’s likely that the trend will continue to wane as we move into 2023.
So if you’re thinking about wearing one yourself, keep in mind that it might be best to wait until next year.
Hi, I’m Isabella! I’m a fashion-obsessed writer who loves everything about it: the clothes, the accessories, and especially the people. I’ve been writing about fashion for nearly 8 years now—and during that time, I’ve learned a few things. First of all, there’s no such thing as bad style. It’s just a matter of what works for you. Second of all, fashion is more than just clothes—it can be a way to express yourself or your personality. And finally: Fashion is fun!