The pencil skirt is a style staple for many women. But what will the pencil skirt look like in 2024? Will it still be a popular style?
In this post, we’ll explore why pencil skirts are still popular, as well as some buying and styling tips.
Are Pencil Skirts In Style in 2024?
It’s been a while since we’ve seen pencil skirts on the runways, but have they fallen out of fashion?
According to Google Trends, the answer is no. Pencil skirt searches peaked in 2015, and they’re still popular in the UK and South Africa. You can even find millions of Instagram posts tagged with #pencilskirt.
But there’s a big difference between popularity and fashionability—and when it comes to trends, that doesn’t always mean “what’s hot now.” While you might see a lot of pencil skirts on social media, when you look at actual stores like Forever 21 or H&M, you’ll notice that pencil skirts are far from the most popular item in their inventory. And when you search for them online, there are only a few options available for purchase—not nearly as many as there would be if they were truly popular among young women right now.
So even though people may be wearing pencil skirts right now (or thinking about them), it seems unlikely that they’ll stay in style for much longer.
What do you think? Do you agree with Google Trends’ findings?
Why are they called pencil skirts?
Pencil skirts are called so because of their slim, straight, and narrow shape, which resembles a pencil. They are typically fitted from the waist to the knees, and often have a vent or slit at the back to allow for ease of movement.
The pencil skirt first became popular in the 1950s, when Christian Dior introduced the “H-line” silhouette, which featured a narrow skirt that emphasized the hips and waist. The pencil skirt was a part of this new style, and quickly became a staple in women’s fashion.
The name “pencil skirt” was likely coined because of its resemblance to a pencil, which was a common writing tool at the time. The slim, straight shape of the skirt was also in line with the fashionable image of the time, which emphasized a streamlined and sophisticated look.
Today, the pencil skirt remains a popular style that is often worn in professional settings, as well as for more formal occasions.
Do men find pencil skirts attractive?
Yes, men do find pencil skirts attractive. According to Wearsism, men find pencil skirts attractive because they are tight and slim-fitting, making the figure line of a lady more obvious. They also find it more feminine and cute, and they feel ladies wearing pencil skirts are smart and responsible.
Additionally, men find it appealing when women wear colors that make a good contrast, such as light colors with the dark ones.
Finally, men find it attractive when women sweat, as it shows that they are capable of keeping house in the heat of summer and still look flawless.
How long will Pencil Skirts be in Style?
Will pencil skirts be in style forever? That’s the question you’ve been asking yourself. And we’re here to tell you: yes, pencil skirts will always be in style!
They’re a classic piece of clothing that looks good on everyone—whether you’re tall or short, curvy or thin. They can be worn in different seasons and with all kinds of outfits. And they look great on men and women alike.
When it comes down to it, pencil skirts are just plain cool!
What body shape can wear a pencil skirt?
A pencil skirt is a classic and versatile piece of clothing that can be worn by many different body shapes. The general rule of thumb is that a pencil skirt looks great on women with an hourglass figure, which means that their hips and bust are proportional, with a well-defined waist. However, women with other body shapes can also look great in a pencil skirt with a few styling tricks. Here are some guidelines:
- Pear-shaped: If you have a pear-shaped body, meaning you have a smaller bust and wider hips and thighs, choose a pencil skirt with a high waist that cinches at the smallest part of your waist. This will create a more balanced silhouette.
- Apple-shaped: If you have an apple-shaped body, meaning you carry most of your weight in your midsection, choose a pencil skirt with a thicker waistband that sits higher on your waist. This will create a smoother line and help to define your waist.
- Straight-shaped: If you have a straight-shaped body, meaning you have little definition between your bust, waist, and hips, choose a pencil skirt with a bold print or pattern that creates the illusion of curves. You can also add a belt to cinch your waist and create more shape.
Overall, the key to wearing a pencil skirt is to find a style that flatters your body shape and makes you feel confident and comfortable. Experiment with different lengths, fabrics, and styles until you find the perfect pencil skirt for you.
Pencil Skirt is still in style in 2024. Here are 5 reasons why:
1. The material of the Pencil Skirt is made of cotton, which is a very durable material and can be easily washed at home.
2. The Pencil Skirty comes in many different colors, so you can choose the color that suits your daily outfit and mood.
3. The Pencil Skirty features a pencil skirt design, which makes it perfect for office wear. It can also be worn as a casual outfit on weekends or days off from work.
4. The Pencil Skirty is affordable and easy to find at any clothing store or online shop selling women’s clothing items like jeans and shirts with matching tops that can also be worn with this pencil skirt look!
5. The Pencil Skirty has been popular for decades now because it never goes out of style; it’s one of those pieces that women tend to keep buying over again every few years because they love how easily it goes with anything else they already own!
Cons of wearing Pencil Skirts
1. Pencil skirts are a little hard to pull off if you’re not super confident in your body (or don’t have a great tailor).
2. They can be tough to launder because they tend to be made of wool or polyester blends—which means they can shrink and fade if you don’t take care of them.
3. The pencil skirt is basically a uniform for women who work in office environments, so if you’re trying to stand out at work, this probably isn’t the best choice for you!
5 Tips for buying Pencil Skirts for yourself
1. Don’t be afraid of the pencil skirt! Pencil skirts are a classic, and they’re also not going anywhere anytime soon. We’re pretty sure they’ll be around as long as there are women in the world.
2. If you want a pencil skirt, go for it! There’s no need to think about what anyone else will say or wear when you pick out clothes—just think about what YOU like and what looks good on YOU.
3. Make sure your pencil skirt fits well! It shouldn’t be too tight or too loose, but just right. You don’t want it to look like it’s falling off or like it’s going to fly up at any moment!
4. You can wear pencil skirts with anything from heels to flats—it all depends on how formal/casual your outfit is going to be and whether or not you’re wearing other things that might clash with the color of your pencil skirt (like shoes).
5. Try different styles of pencil skirts: short, long; tight-fitting or loose; fitted waistlines; high waists; low waists; all depending on where your body type falls on the spectrum between curvy/curvaceous, average-sized frame and petite/small.
6. Wear your pencil skirt with a top that has a fitted, round neckline and add some extra length to the hem of your skirt so that it doesn’t bunch up around your knees.
5 quick tips for styling Pencil Skirts in 2024
Pencil skirts are back in a big way. They’re sleek, classic, and flattering on almost every body type—and they’re so versatile! You can dress them up or down, and wear them from day to night.
If you’re rocking this look, here are some tips for making sure it all comes together:
1) Keep your top simple. A plain shirt will work well here; try pairing it with a blazer for an office look, or a white tee and statement necklace for something more casual.
2) Match your shoes to your bag. If your skirt has a colorful stripe or pattern, choose shoes that match it, or at least complement it in some way (like black patent pumps). This will tie everything together without being too matchy-matchy.
3) Add a pop of color with an accessory like a fun scarf or a necklace that matches the color of your purse (or vice versa!). This will draw attention to the outfit without being too much of a distraction from anything else going on with the rest of your look.
4) Don’t forget about accessories! A statement watch and earrings can add some glamour to this otherwise simple outfit by bringing attention where you want it to be.
5) If you want to go for a more subtle look, keep everything neutral and simple like this outfit from The Sartorialist. This is also a great way to make your outfit more versatile.
No matter what the future holds, pencil skirts are here to stay. They’re classic, sexy, and comfortable—but most of all, they’re timeless.
If you want to look good while also feeling good in your clothes, pencil skirts are a great option. And if you want to be able to wear them for years to come? Then pencil skirts are an even better choice!
Hey there! I’m Sophia, and I’m the co-founder of this website. I’ve been a lifelong fashion enthusiast and have spent most of my time working in the industry as a fashion stylist. My goal is to create a space where we can all come together and celebrate everything that makes us who we are: our individual styles. I’m excited to bring you this digital community, where we can share our stories, insights, and experiences with each other—and learn new things along the way!