Strapless dresses are all the rage! We’ve seen them on the runway and at our favorite celebs, but how do we know if they’re still in style?
In this article, we’ll take a look at strapless dresses in 2023 and see where they’re headed. We’ll also talk about why strapless dresses are still popular, and give some tips for buying and styling them.
Are strapless dresses in or out of style?
Strapless dresses are in, but they’re not as popular as they once were.
Strapless dresses are still popular in the USA and The UK, but their popularity has dropped off since peaking in 2010 and 2012.
This isn’t to say that strapless dresses are a relic of the past—they’re still around, and they’re still being worn! But it’s clear that the trend has shifted: more people are wearing more styles of strapless dress than ever before.
You can see this shift reflected on Google Trends: there was a huge spike in searches for “strapless dress” around 2011, which is when the fashion world really started to embrace this look as something iconic. But then that spike flattened out over time—and since 2016, we’ve seen a steady decline in interest from both men and women alike.
The good news is that even if strapless dresses aren’t having their moment anymore, we can still find plenty of data about how people want to wear them today!
But if we look at Instagram and Pinterest, it looks like there is an increase in strapless dress popularity.
So what does this mean? We’ll just have to wait and see!
How long will Strapless Dresses be in Style?
Strapless dresses are a perennial favorite in the fashion world, with their ability to show off your shoulders and provide a bold look that’s sure to turn heads. But what will happen when strapless dresses go out of style?
To answer that question, we need to look at the history of strapless dresses. The first strapless dress was designed in 1922 by designer Jeanne Lanvin. It was a black silk evening gown with stunning floral detailing on the bustline—and no straps whatsoever! Since then, designers have continued to create beautiful strapless dresses for weddings, proms, and other special occasions.
But when will the trend fade away? Only time will tell!
5 famous ladies who have worn strapless dresses:
- Scarlett Johansson – Scarlett Johansson wore a stunning pink strapless gown to the 2020 Oscars ceremony. The dress was designed by Oscar de la Renta and featured a fitted bodice and full skirt.
- Angelina Jolie – Angelina Jolie wore a striking black strapless dress to the 2012 Academy Awards. The dress was designed by Atelier Versace and featured a thigh-high slit that showed off her toned legs.
- Jennifer Lawrence – Jennifer Lawrence wore a beautiful red strapless dress to the 2011 Oscars. The dress was designed by Calvin Klein and featured a fitted silhouette and flowing skirt.
- Beyoncé – Beyoncé wore a stunning white strapless gown to the 2015 Met Gala. The dress was designed by Givenchy and featured intricate beading and a long train.
- Princess Diana – Princess Diana wore a memorable strapless dress to the 1985 White House dinner hosted by President Ronald Reagan. The dress was designed by Victor Edelstein and was made of silk velvet in a striking shade of blue.
These five ladies all looked stunning in their strapless dresses and showed how versatile this style can be for a variety of occasions, from the red carpet to formal events.
Strapless dresses are in style in 2023. But why?
Here are 5 unique reasons why this look is so popular:
1. It’s a low-maintenance look that’s perfect for women on the go. The strapless dress can be worn with or without straps, so if you’re feeling like you need to adjust your bra before leaving the house, you don’t have to worry about styling your dress around it! Just throw it on and go.
2. It’s a sexy look that will make your body look slimmer than ever before. Strapless dresses are often fitted at the waist, which creates an hourglass silhouette—and there’s nothing sexier than an hourglass figure!
3. Strapless dresses are perfect for showing off your shoulders and collarbones. If you want to show off some skin, this is the way to do it! The strapless dress will create a seamless line from your neckline down through your chest and midsection into the skirt of your dress, making it appear as though there was never anything between those two points in the first place!
4. You can show off a little bit of leg or cleavage without feeling too exposed by going for an off-the-shoulder or strapless dress. If you’re feeling a little self-conscious about showing off your shoulders or chest, try a dress that has an open back or front to give you some coverage without sacrificing style!
5. If you’re looking for something that’s both sexy and romantic, look no further than a longline strapless dress with lace accents.
Cons of wearing Strapless Dresses
1. It’s hard to find a strapless dress that covers what you need it to. You can’t just wear any old strapless dress and expect to get away with it. If you’re going to wear a strapless dress, you have to make sure that the back of the dress is long enough and fits well so that you don’t end up showing off more than you’d like to.
2. Strapless dresses are really hard to dance in! If you want to dance at a wedding or a party, then you should probably avoid wearing a strapless dress unless it’s very loose-fitting around the hips and waist area because otherwise, it might fall off while dancing (which would be super embarrassing).
3. Strapless dresses tend not to be very flattering on everyone’s body type because they accentuate certain parts of your figure—and not necessarily the parts you want highlighted on an event day!
6 Tips for buying Strapless Dresses for yourself
1. Try on the dress. Make sure to wear the same size that you normally wear in a strapless dress.
2. Look for a pattern that is flattering to your body type. If you’re curvy, go for a bold pattern like stripes or polka dots; if you’re petite, try something more subtle like lace or velvet; if you have an hourglass shape, opt for something with ruching; if you’re tall, choose a maxi or floor-length style; and if you have an athletic build, say no to embellishments and focus on sleek silhouettes and details like cinched waists and side slits instead.
3. Don’t be afraid of color! Think about what colors work best with your skin tone—and then go for it! A bright pink will look amazing against olive skin tones, while pastels will look beautiful on someone with fair skin and light hair colorings.
4. Pay attention to details like bra straps showing through because they can be distracting from an otherwise gorgeous dress; also take into account how easy it will be to move around in once you’ve put it on by considering things like whether it has a train that will get caught on the ground or if you’ll be able to dance in it without feeling like your feet are going to fly out from under you!
5. Go for classic silhouettes and styles, then add your own flair with accessories like belts, jewelry and shoes.
Here are 7 fashion brands that sell elegant strapless dresses:
- BHLDN – BHLDN is a popular bridal brand that offers a wide range of strapless dresses, from classic ball gowns to sleek and modern styles. Check out their collection of strapless wedding dresses here:
- David’s Bridal – David’s Bridal is another well-known bridal brand that offers a variety of strapless dresses for brides and bridesmaids. Browse their collection of strapless dresses here
- Revolve – Revolve is a popular online retailer that offers a variety of high-end fashion brands. Their selection of strapless dresses includes everything from casual summer dresses to elegant evening gowns. Check out their strapless dress collection here:
- Nordstrom – Nordstrom is a department store that carries a wide range of fashion brands, including many that offer elegant strapless dresses. Browse their selection of strapless dresses here
- ASOS – ASOS is an online retailer that offers a variety of affordable fashion options. Their collection of strapless dresses includes everything from casual sundresses to formal gowns. Check out their strapless dress collection here:
- Marchesa – Marchesa is a luxury fashion brand known for their elegant, feminine designs. Their collection of strapless dresses includes many show-stopping gowns perfect for formal events.
- Self-Portrait – Self-Portrait is a popular fashion brand known for their intricate lace designs. Their collection of strapless dresses includes many stunning options for a variety of occasions.
I hope this helps you find the perfect strapless dress for your next event!
7 quick tips for styling Strapless Dresses in 2023
1. If you have a strapless dress, you probably have some kind of strapless bra. But that doesn’t mean you can’t style it without one! If your dress is fitted enough, you can wear it without a bra and let the dress do all the work for you.
2. A great way to accentuate the natural curves in your body is by wearing high heels and a full skirt. This makes your legs look longer and slimmer, while also giving them more definition.
3. Strapless dresses are super versatile and easily go with both formal and casual outfits. They’re also great for showing off a new tan!
4. If you’re looking for an easy way to hide a little extra skin or cellulite on your arms, try wearing a cardigan or blazer over your strapless dress with an open front or buttons down the front (instead of having them buttoned up all the way). This will help keep everything covered up while still looking stylish!
5. If there’s any part of your body that needs some help staying put while wearing a strapless dress—like if your boobs want to spill out everywhere—try adding some adhesive options such as tape or double-sided tape. This will help keep everything in place while still looking stylish!
6. If you have a bad tan line, try wearing a strapless dress with an open front or buttons down the front (instead of having them buttoned up all the way). This will help keep everything covered up while still looking stylish!
7. If you’re feeling brave, try out some fun colors! They can really make your outfit pop!
We don’t want to give you a definitive answer—that’s not what we’re here for. We know you’ll make up your own mind on whether strapless dresses are in or out of style, and that’s the beauty of fashion: it’s about self-expression!
So go ahead, wear whatever you like. If you have the confidence to pull off a strapless dress, then by all means throw one on. If not, there’s always another trend around the corner—we promise.
Hi, I’m Isabella! I’m a fashion-obsessed writer who loves everything about it: the clothes, the accessories, and especially the people. I’ve been writing about fashion for nearly 8 years now—and during that time, I’ve learned a few things. First of all, there’s no such thing as bad style. It’s just a matter of what works for you. Second of all, fashion is more than just clothes—it can be a way to express yourself or your personality. And finally: Fashion is fun!