High-waisted shorts are a staple in any girl’s wardrobe.
They give you that summer vibe while covering up your tummy area and knees, which is great for those with thicker thighs.
But if you have thick thighs then it can be hard to find high-waisted shorts that fit properly because they tend to fit at the waist instead of having extra space in the thigh area.
So I’m here today with some tips on how to make sure your high-waisted shorts don’t look like bike shorts!
Do you need high-waisted shorts?
If you’re like most women, the reasons to wear them are obvious.
High-waisted shorts make a great alternative to skirts and dresses for those who don’t want to dress in an overtly feminine way, or if they’d rather not wear something that shows off their legs.
Plus, they can be worn with crop tops and shirts (as shown above) or with regular pants underneath.
If your thighs are big enough to have an issue with wearing high-waisted shorts, this is probably one of the best options for you!
Choose the right pair of shorts for your body type.
Choosing the right pair of shorts for your body type is crucial to making sure you look great! Here are four things to keep in mind when buying your shorts:
- Fit: Your shorts should fit snugly, but not too tight. If they’re too loose, they’ll make your legs look bigger by exaggerating any bulges or dips in your leg shape.
- Length: Go for a high waist if you have big thighs, since this will draw attention away from them and onto other areas of your body. The length should be just below where your belly button would be if you were standing up straight; any shorter than this will make it seem like there isn’t enough fabric on top, which can cause unflattering stretching at the crotch area over time (and no one wants that).
- Waistband: The waistband should sit comfortably on top of the hipbones, which means it shouldn’t sit higher or lower than the natural crease between one’s stomach and upper thigh area (this varies depending on individual body types). It also shouldn’t be so loose that it falls down below this point when wearing underwear underneath (a common mistake people tend to make because they don’t know their true measurements).
Make sure the shorts are the right length for your legs.
- Don’t wear shorts that are too long.
- If you have muscular legs and a smaller waist, then your shorts will look great if they’re slightly longer than normal. However, if your thighs are more on the larger side of things (i.e., bigger than average), it’s best to go for a cut that hits right above the knee or below it.
- Don’t wear shorts that are too short! If you have thick thighs, wearing shorts that sit just above or below your knees will not flatter them in any way at all—instead, opt for higher waists so as not to emphasize their size even more by showing off more leg than necessary.
Look for stretchy fabric.
If you have big thighs, one of the best things you can do is get yourself a pair of high-waisted shorts.
But what if you’re worried that they won’t fit?
Let’s look at some options for making your high-waisted shorts more comfortable and flattering.
Know that not every pair of high-waist shorts will be flattering on everyone, but so long as you take care to choose the right cut and fabric for your body type, there are plenty of ways to make sure your high-waist shorts look good on you!
Make sure they sit at the right spot on your waist.
The natural waist is the narrowest part of your torso and is usually about 2 inches above your belly button.
To find it, bend over and look at yourself in the mirror.
The color of your skin should change from light to dark as you move your gaze down toward this point (it’s also helpful if you feel a dip in your back).
You can adjust these shorts so they sit above or below this point by adjusting where they’re fastened on the front closure.
Choose a dark wash.
- Darker shades are generally more flattering than lighter ones. This is because they create a shadow, or optical illusion that makes us look slimmer.
- Darker shades are also more versatile, which means you can wear them with almost anything in your closet.
- Darker tones are more flattering on every body type and skin tone, so if you’re worried about being too pale or dark, this is the way to go!
Go for a tailored fit.
Tailored shorts are the most flattering, comfortable, durable and versatile option for women with big thighs.
They can also be more professional than their straight-legged counterparts, as well as more expensive.
With a tailored fit, you’ll have a better chance of finding shorts that look good on your body type.
The high waist will help minimize any bulk around the stomach and waistline while still allowing you to show off your shapely legs with confidence!
Say goodbye to pleats and gathers.
If you’re a woman with big thighs, then you know that most shorts don’t fit.
They tend to be either too tight in the thigh area, or they have pleats and gathers that make them look like they’re wrapped around a giant pillowcase.
You shouldn’t wear shorts that are pleated or gathered anywhere on the waist or bottom; they will only make your thighs look bigger.
Shorts with elastic waists also should be avoided because they accentuate every bump and bulge in your body.
Waistbands with drawstrings aren’t great either—they can make your stomach look flabby if the elastic isn’t tight enough or if it’s too snug against your bellybutton (which is never attractive).
Don’t wear pockets, buttons, zippers… any extra features on shorts will only distract from your legs!
The best way to stay sleek? Go straight up-and-down with no bells or whistles (or pockets!).
Wear them with confidence!
In the end, it’s all about confidence.
You are beautiful and beautiful things look good on you!
Wear your high-waisted shorts with confidence, like you know you look hot AF in them.
Don’t be afraid of your body or what other people think of it — show off those legs!
Show off that body type! It’s yours, so own it and rock those shorts with pride!
So, what have we learned?
1. Don’t panic! You don’t have to wear high-waisted shorts if they don’t look good on your body.
2. If you want to wear high-waisted shorts, make sure your butt looks amazing in them. It’s all about the proportions—the higher the waist line, the smaller your butt can be.
3. If you’re worried about how your thighs will look in high-waisted shorts, try wearing them with some opaque tights underneath and see how that feels. You might be surprised!
And there you have it! Our guide to wearing high-waisted shorts with big thighs.
We hope you found it helpful, and we wish you all the best of luck in finding your perfect pair of shorts.
Hi, I’m Isabella! I’m a fashion-obsessed writer who loves everything about it: the clothes, the accessories, and especially the people. I’ve been writing about fashion for nearly 8 years now—and during that time, I’ve learned a few things. First of all, there’s no such thing as bad style. It’s just a matter of what works for you. Second of all, fashion is more than just clothes—it can be a way to express yourself or your personality. And finally: Fashion is fun!