We’ve been asking ourselves this question ever since we saw that stunning Ralph Lauren dress at the Spring 2020 runway show. We’ve seen women wearing asymmetrical dresses on the red carpet, at parties, and even on the street. So why aren’t they going out of style? And what can you learn from them?
To find out, we talked to a few experts in fashion, including Sara, who said: “I think that asymmetry is very much here to stay because it’s such a powerful look. Women want to feel like they’re not just following the latest trend—they want clothes that reflect their individuality.”
She also told us: “The asymmetry trend will stay popular because asymmetrical cuts are flattering for almost every body type.”
So if you love your asymmetrical dresses and want them to stay in style forever (or at least as long as possible), here are some tips for buying and styling them now so you can wear them for years to come:
Are asymmetrical dresses still in style in 2023?
It’s a question we get all the time, and one we thought we’d address today. Asymmetrical dresses have been popular in recent years, but not as popular as they were in 2004.
They’re still popular in Australia, the United States, the United Kingdom, and Canada—Google Trends shows their popularity peaking between 2004 and 2007.
But don’t let the Google Trends data fool you: Asymmetrical dresses are still very much “in.” They’re just not as mainstream as they used to be.
You can find millions of Ruffled Dresses on Instagram and Pinterest. If you just search “asymmetrical dress,” you’ll see hundreds of examples from around the world that prove there’s no doubt about it: Asymmetrical dresses are still a thing.
What does asymmetrical dress mean?
An asymmetrical dress is a type of dress that has an uneven neckline or hemline, creating a dramatic and stylish effect. It draws attention to the face and creates a flattering silhouette. The degree of the slant in the skirt section of the dress can range from a subtle slant to more severe slants that go both ways to create a peak in the centre.
Asymmetrical dresses are all about uniqueness and rarity, and are the hottest trend right now.
They are designed to make the legs look long and can be found in tops, skirts and dresses.
About asymmetrical dresses history
Asymmetrical dresses have been part of fashion history for centuries. The earliest example of an asymmetrical dress can be traced back to the 1970s, when American designer Roy Halston released a series of dresses featuring the style. Halston blended the concept of elegant cocktail dresses with Grecian gowns to create this eye-catching design.
In the early 20th century, asymmetrical designs were featured in bodices and skirts, and preferred fabrics included satin, taffeta, chiffon, and lightweight silks. During this time, early Art Deco inspired prints were seen in post-war years.
In the late 18th century, frilly, floor-length hoop skirts were popular . The Dictionary of Fashion History (2010) defines a cuirass bodice as a “sheath-like bodice that fit tightly over the hips producing a long-line dress silhouette” .
How long will asymmetrical dresses be in Style?
Asymmetrical dresses are definitely going to be around for a while. They’re so fun and playful—they bring a lot of personality to your look, which is great if you’re looking for something with a bit of pizzazz.
Asymmetrical dresses are also super flattering on most body types. If you have curves, asymmetrical dresses will show them off in all the right ways. If you’re petite or shorter in stature, an asymmetrical dress can make you look taller and more statuesque. And if you’re tall or have long legs? Well, let’s just say that asymmetrical dresses are one of our favorite styles for showing off those gams!
Here are five reasons why.
1. The asymmetrical hemline is less formal than a straight skirt or pants, making it an easy way to dress up your look without having to wear a suit.
2. The asymmetrical hemline adds visual interest and makes you look taller—especially if you pair it with heels or wedges!
3. It’s a great way to show off your body shape or hide your flaws (like chunky thighs or hips).
4. If you don’t have the money for expensive clothing, asymmetrical styles can help you make one piece of clothing go further by adding interesting details and color blocking that draw attention away from less expensive parts of the outfit (like shoes or jewelry). This can also help save money over time by allowing you to wear an item more than once without feeling like you’re wearing something twice-worn every time you wear it again!
5. You’ll never get bored with this trend because there are so many different ways to wear asymmetrical garments: they can be dresses; skirts; tops; jackets… even hats! There’s something for everyone here!
5 Tips for buying asymmetrical dresses for yourself
Dressing up for a big event is always exciting, but the thought of shopping for an outfit can sometimes be overwhelming. It can be hard to know where to start and what styles will work best for your body. Here are our top 5 tips for buying asymmetrical dresses!
1. Stand in front of a mirror and turn side-to-side to see if the asymmetry looks good on your body.
2. Make sure the dress fits well at your waistline—the asymmetry needs to look balanced with the rest of your shape.
3. Try on different necklines to see which one best suits your face shape.
4. If you have long hair, make sure it’s not pulling down on one side of your face too much (unless that’s the style you’re going for!).
5. When trying on different styles, try them over jeans or leggings so you can get an idea of how they’ll look at various events like weddings or parties—it might surprise you how different things can look depending on what else you’re wearing!
Fashion brands that sell asymmetrical dresses:
These brands are known for their unique and stylish designs, and their asymmetrical dresses are no exception. From high-end luxury to more affordable options, there’s an asymmetrical dress for every budget and style preference.
If you want to stand out from the crowd, these tips will help you do just that!
1. Try a bold color on one side of your dress and an understated color on the other.
2. Try mixing patterns on opposite sides of your dress—perhaps one side has a floral pattern and the other has stripes or polka dots?
3. Go with a more subtle asymmetry by making one sleeve longer than the other (and vice versa).
4. Add some accessories to your outfit that are different on each side of your body—this is a great way to play with asymmetry without having to wear an entire asymmetrical dress!
5. Add something extra special to one side of your look—like an asymmetrical collar or tie belt—to make it stand out even more .
6. Wear a pair of earrings on one side only—this is a great way to show off some new jewelry without being too obvious about it!
7. Try an asymmetrical hairstyle—you’ll instantly look more interesting and chic with just a few simple tweaks!
It’s hard to predict what the future will hold, but one thing is certain: asymmetrical dresses will always be in style.
They’re both elegant and bold, and they have a way of making you feel like you can take on the world. If you’re looking for something fun to wear on your next date night or girls’ night out, try out an asymmetrical dress!
Hi, I’m Isabella! I’m a fashion-obsessed writer who loves everything about it: the clothes, the accessories, and especially the people. I’ve been writing about fashion for nearly 8 years now—and during that time, I’ve learned a few things. First of all, there’s no such thing as bad style. It’s just a matter of what works for you. Second of all, fashion is more than just clothes—it can be a way to express yourself or your personality. And finally: Fashion is fun!