Bermuda shorts are back! But they’re not the same Bermuda shorts of your youth.
The new version is longer, slimmer and tailored.
And while they’ve been around for quite some time—most recently, it seems like everyone started wearing them in 2018—it’s still a little bit confusing to figure out how to style them if you’ve never worn them before.
Bermuda shorts are back
Bermuda shorts are back! For many, they are synonymous with summer, vacationing on the beach and having fun.
And while you can wear them on vacation and at the beach, we have seen more than a few fashion-forward women wearing them as well.
Bermuda shorts have been around for centuries but their popularity declined in the 1960s when flares came into style. However, now that flares are out of style again and high-waisted trousers are becoming increasingly popular, Bermuda shorts will make a comeback!
Since you want to be ahead of the curve here’s how to style Bermuda shorts in 2024:
First, choose the right length.
Choosing a length that’s appropriate for the occasion is key to wearing Bermuda shorts well—they should be at or above the knee, but not too short (think: high school gym class) or too long.
If you’re not sure what length looks best on you and your body type, try a few options before committing to one style.
If you have slim legs and like showing off your calves in shorts this summer, go with a shorter cut.
If you have thicker legs and prefer some coverage while still looking cool, opt for a longer pair.
For example: if your legs are on the thinner side and wearing your Bermudas rolled up as pictured here makes them look more comfortable than they do when worn straight down (and rolled up), then roll them up!
In addition to choosing an appropriate length for any given event, we recommend hemming all of our shorts before wearing them out in public so they don’t drag on the ground while walking around town all day long!
Choose your fabric.
Choosing the right fabric is key to styling your shorts. Your choice will depend on how you plan to wear your shorts, and what activities they’ll be used for.
- Fabric types: Cotton, linen or twill are all good options for summertime wear. Lightweight fabrics let your legs breathe and stay cool in warmer weather because there’s less material between them and the air surrounding them. They’re also more comfortable when worn as casual clothing around the house or at work (such as on casual Fridays). Heavy-duty fabrics can be worn in colder weather without feeling stiff or restrictive—but they’re not quite as comfortable as lightweight fabrics.
- Fabric weight: The heavier the weight of a fabric, the more durable it will be against wear and tear (including washing). However, these types of materials are often less breathable than lighter ones.
- Fabric versatility: If you want something that can be worn year-round without changing out your entire wardrobe each time temperature changes occur from season to season, consider choosing lightweight summer clothes like Bermuda shorts so that each season feels just like wearing something brand new every time!
Will you tuck it in?
Now that you know how to pick out your Bermuda shorts, it’s time to play with ways to style them.
Tucking the hem into your pants can make your look more formal and put together, but not everyone wants that.
Tucking in also brings in another layer of fabric which makes the outfit look more casual when worn with other short sleeve button-ups or tees.
Tucking in is best for business meetings and presentations—the more formal your situation, the better.
If you don’t want people thinking too much about what’s going on underneath your shirt, go ahead and leave it hanging out of those khakis without worrying about looking sloppy!
Just make sure to avoid tucking because this adds an extra layer of fabric that can bulk up a slimmer build.
Your shoe choice makes the difference.
Your shoes should be in line with the length of your shorts, and they should also be in line with the style you’re going for.
If you’re wearing a pair of Bermuda shorts that have a more casual vibe, then I would recommend sneakers or other athletic shoes to complement that look.
But if you are wearing a pair of dressier Bermudas, then it’s best to opt for something like oxford lace-ups or even loafers.
You could also try wearing slippers or slip-on shoes like OluKai Kai Casual Sneaker Men’s Shoes White.
Choose the right belt.
The belt is an important accessory because it can make or break your outfit, so choose wisely. You want something that complements your clothing and brings out the best features of your body shape. Let’s take a look at some popular types of belts:
- Black and brown are the most versatile colors for belts because they go with almost anything. If you’re looking for something more classic, go with a leather belt in black or brown.
- Leather is also a good choice if you don’t want something too flashy or bulky; however, if you prefer something more casual-looking, try suede instead of leather.
- Wide belts will detract from the slimming effect of your shorts and should be avoided unless you have an exceptionally large waistline (and even then). Thin belts may look nice but are not particularly functional because they tend to slip around more than thicker ones when worn untied—so keep this in mind before buying one!
Wear them with a crop top and sandals for a casual look
When it comes to styling Bermuda shorts, a top and sandals are all you need. Here are some options:
- Wear a tank top or t-shirt. A crop top is always on-trend, but if you want something less revealing, try a longer tank that covers your midsection:
- Wear sandals. These shoes will add height, which is important since women tend to be shorter than men on average and can look small next to them in heels. Sandals are also great because they’re comfortable and allow for airflow—especially if you’re going somewhere like the beach!
- Wear a hat or scarf (or both). While these accessories aren’t essential when it comes to dressing up an outfit, they do make an impact when worn correctly—and they can look really good! Consider adding one of these items if your outfit feels incomplete without it; think about what kind of hat would work best with what kind of dress/top/shorts combo before deciding which one is right for each situation.
The point is, don’t be afraid to experiment with different clothes and accessories. It’s fun, it’ll help you learn more about fashion, and it’ll make you look great!
Layer them over a blouse or sweater for a dressier vibe
Layering a shirt or sweater over your shorts is a great way to dress them up and make them look more like a dress.
The key here is to pair the right pieces together so that they complement each other.
You want the color, length, style and fabric of your top to be similar to that of your shorts in order for this look to work!
For example: If you have denim Bermudas (shorts made out of denim), then you’ll want to wear something cottony like an oversized t-shirt or button down blouse. If you have black Bermuda shorts then anything printed will be good for layering—think stripes and florals!
Add tights and loafers for an office-appropriate outfit
In the winter, tights are a great way to keep your lower half warm without having to wear pants or jeans.
Plus, they come in all sorts of styles and colors so you can coordinate them with your outfit!
Comfort is also important when it comes to footwear. T
hat’s why loafers are such a great option for any season—especially as we transition into spring and summer.
Loafers offer slip-on convenience while still looking cool enough to pair with shorts or chinos around town.
Mix prints by wearing striped shorts under florals or polka dots
- When you’re layering prints, it’s best to stick with patterns that are similar in scale. For example, stripes work well under florals or polka dots!
- If you want a more subtle approach, choose one of the more tonal colors within your print combo and pair it with white shorts (see how we did this at the end of this post). This will help prevent your outfit from looking too busy and also lets you take advantage of both prints’ vibes without being too matchy-matchy.
- Prints don’t have to match exactly but they should complement each other. A good rule of thumb is that if they’re close enough in color value (think: shades of green), then they’ll look nice together. But if there’s a big difference between their hues or values—like red flowers paired with blue stripes—they might clash instead of complementing each other.
So, in short: keep the shorts clean and simple, but still stylish and fun.
Don’t forget about the details like color blocking or striped patterns, which will add a nice contrast to your outfit; remember that Bermuda shorts can be worn with anything from t-shirts to polos and button-down shirts!
And don’t forget about accessories like hats or sunglasses—they’re perfect for summer days when you want protection from UV rays without having to wear long pants all day long.
Hi, I’m Isabella! I’m a fashion-obsessed writer who loves everything about it: the clothes, the accessories, and especially the people. I’ve been writing about fashion for nearly 8 years now—and during that time, I’ve learned a few things. First of all, there’s no such thing as bad style. It’s just a matter of what works for you. Second of all, fashion is more than just clothes—it can be a way to express yourself or your personality. And finally: Fashion is fun!