These days, high-waisted jeans are all the rage. They’re great for giving you a more flattering silhouette and making your legs look longer.
But who should not wear them?
In this article, we’ll talk about who should wear high-waisted jeans and who shouldn’t!
What makes high-waisted jeans special?
High-waisted jeans are a classic. They’re known for their thick waistband, which sits just below the belly button, and their high rise, which means they sit just below your natural waist.
But why do we love them so much? Well, first of all, they’re super flattering. The higher rise makes your legs look longer and slimmer, while the thicker waistband helps you fill out any top you’re wearing.
Second of all: they can be super versatile! You can wear them with any kind of shoe—flats, heels, boots—because they’re such a classic style.
And thirdly: they’re comfortable! Most high-waisted jeans have elastic in the waistband to help keep them up and keep you feeling supported throughout your day.
But, who should not wear high-waisted jeans?
1. Plus size women.
If you’re a plus-size woman, high-waisted jeans are not the best option for you.
They can make your waist look even larger than it already is, and they can make your legs look shorter because of their straight cut.
The worst thing about them is that when they hug your belly tightly like a shapewear or maternity would do, it makes you look like you’re wearing a diaper!
2. Petite women
Although it’s true that the high-waisted style has been a popular choice among petite women for decades, if you’re not tall and don’t have curves (and I mean big ones), it might not be the best look for you.
If you’re petite but have curves, then by all means go for these jeans! They’ll give your figure some much-needed shape.
But if you’re skinny as a rail without any hips or butt to speak of, stay away from them. You want to avoid looking like a child playing dress-up in your mom’s clothes.
The same goes for people who aren’t curvy or tall enough: they should also avoid wearing high-waisted jeans unless they can pile on some padding underneath their waistband so that the top button doesn’t break their body in half when it closes around them (which would make them look like this).
3. Tall women
Tall women should not wear high-waisted jeans. Why?
Because they will make you look shorter, they’ll give the appearance that your legs are longer than they actually are, and they’ll make your waist look bigger.
You might think this sounds like something a tall person would want to avoid—but as with all things fashion-related, it’s all about context.
If you’re wearing them right (with super high heels) and in the right color palette (e.g., black), these jeans can be really flattering!
4. Women who have a large bust
If you have a large bust, then high-waisted jeans may not work for you because they will emphasize your breasts and make them appear even bigger.
The best way to avoid this problem is by wearing tops that draw attention away from the chest area (or by wearing something under the shirt).
5. Pregnant Women
You’re pregnant. This will be obvious, but pregnancy can make it difficult to wear anything that isn’t loose and comfortable.
High waists can be very uncomfortable on your growing belly, so consider buying a lower-rise pair of pants or shorts instead.
And then, Who should wear high-waisted jeans?
1. If you have a rounder tummy, high-waisted jeans will help streamline your figure by lifting the belly and creating a more streamlined silhouette.
2. If you’ve got wide hips but not much of a waist, high-waisted jeans will help elongate the body by creating a subtle hourglass shape.
3. If you have narrow hips and thighs but a wider upper body, high-waisted jeans will help balance things out by lengthening your torso and highlighting your legs.
4. If you’re pear-shaped (bigger on top than on the bottom), high-waisted jeans will help create an illusion of balance by making your legs appear longer than they really are and drawing attention away from the stomach area.
5. And finally—if you’ve got long legs and shorter torso, high-waisted jeans will help elongate both elements of your body—giving you an overall longer appearance!
Some short tips for you if you want to wear high-waisted jeans
If you’re not sure how to wear high-waisted jeans, you’re not alone. In fact, we get a lot of questions about this trend—so much so that we decided to write a blog post about it!
The good news is that high-waisted jeans are super easy to pull off if you do it right. Here’s how:
1. Start with the right fit: High-waisted jeans should hit at or just above your belly button. You can also tell by looking at the side seams of your pants; if they don’t sit higher than your natural waistline, they won’t be high enough on your body.
2. Make sure there’s no gap between your undergarments and the top of your jeans: This will make them look more seamless and help prevent any camel toe from happening as well!
3. Wear a top that covers up any bare skin between where your shirt ends and where your jeans begin (like an oversized sweater): This will keep you warm in colder weather while still looking stylish!
4. Don’t forget about shoes! High-waisted jeans look best with flats or heels that don’t have too much height—too much height will make them look awkward
In conclusion, high-waisted jeans are great for those who want to look stylish and confident in their own skin.
They can be worn in a variety of situations and styles, whether you’re going out to dinner or to work.
If you’re looking for some new high-waisted jeans, we recommend knowing your body type and choosing the right pair for you.
If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out in the comments below or on our Facebook page.
Hey there! I’m Sophia, and I’m the co-founder of this website. I’ve been a lifelong fashion enthusiast and have spent most of my time working in the industry as a fashion stylist. My goal is to create a space where we can all come together and celebrate everything that makes us who we are: our individual styles. I’m excited to bring you this digital community, where we can share our stories, insights, and experiences with each other—and learn new things along the way!